- Plants that are sent from areas set forth in Appended Table 2 of the Ordinance for Enforcement of the Plant Protection Act or those sent by way of such areas and which are provided for in said table
- Plants that are sent from areas set forth in Appended Table 2-2 of the Ordinance for Enforcement of the Plant Protection Act or those sent by way of such areas and which are provided for in said table (excluding those satisfying the standards set forth in said table)
- Plants that are provided for in Appended Table 1-2 of the Ordinance for Enforcement of the Plant Protection Act (excluding those that were grown in areas set forth in said table)
- Live pests subject to plant quarantine
- Soil or plants to which soil is attached
- Containers or packages of articles listed in 1. to 5. above
(Note) There are special measures to permit import of import-prohibited articles under certain conditions when such articles are to be imported for limited purposes such as testing and research or exhibitions and when it is technically between Japan and the exporting country that there is no risk of entry of quarantine pests into Japan.
- Processed tea (dried, heated, fermented, or otherwise processed tea); dried hop flowers; bamboo shoots
- Fermented vanilla beans
- Plants pickled in sulphurous acid, alcohol, acetic acid, sugar, salt, etc.
- Dried apricot, fig. persimmon, Actinidia chinensis, plum, pear, jujube, date, pineapple, banana, papaya, grape, mango, peach, and longan
- Grained endocarp of Cocos nucifera
- Dried spices sealed in containers for retail sale (bottled, canned, or sealed in aluminum foil containers that are free from damage by pests)
(Note) Processed tea refers to green tea, black tea, oolong tea or other tea (including mate, guava tea, wolfberry tea, Jasmine. tea, Hibiscus tea, ginseng tea, herb tea, medicated ginseng tea and other medicated tea) that has been dried, heated, fermented, or otherwise processed (including primary processed tea).
(Note) Regarding the following plants, import inspection is required but a phytosanitary certificate issued by the exporting country is unnecessary:
- Dried turmeric and eucommia ulmoides
- Dried almonds, cashew nuts, coconuts, pepper, pistachios, walnuts, and macadamia nuts (excluding seeds nuts for cultivation)